Besides satay, Ian Claproth serves Indonesian fried rice. It’s a family recipe given to him by his grandmother oma Claproth – ‘oma’ is the Dutch word for grandmother.
Every family has their own recipe and this version is really easy to make with ingredients that can be found in any supermarket.
Nasi Goreng Recipe:
Freshly cooked white rice (Jasmin is preferred)
Egg (1 per person)
1. 2-3 diced up pieces of bacon. Bacon must be cooked first in wok, and then remove the cooked bacon to the side.
2. Add 3 teaspoons of olive oil to wok
3. Add 4-5 diced garlic gloves, and 1/4 cups of diced green onions. Let the garlic and onions cook together, make sure it doesn’t burn.
4. Add 1 cup of freshly cooked white rice ( I like to use jasmine ).
5. Make sure the wok isn’t too hot, otherwise it will leave burnt residue in the rice.
6. Add bacon, you can also add a little of the bacon grease for a little more flavor.
7.Add 2-3 more teaspoons of olive oil
8. Add 1.5 tablespoon of soy sauce.
9. Mix everything well on a low fire.
10. Add fried egg on top.