Nothing beats the smell of home baked cookies. This stimulating experience actually starts with the licking of the mixing bowl to the tasting of the warm cookies, fresh from the oven. It also evokes a nice reminder of the time when I, as a child, assisted my mom in baking an apple pie.
I like to bake cookies and cakes. I also love to turn it into gifts for others. But that tempting smell of freshly baked cookies is then only for me. How do you share that? Inviting people every time to enjoy this baking and smelling experience is something I don’t see happen that way. That is why I am giving away my own composed ‘do-it-yourself-cookies-baking mix’ for the holidays. It is a creative, fun-looking and, above all, a personal gift. Now they can get to work with the batter and indulge in the aroma of home-made chocolate cookies.
Put all the ingredients in different layers in a jar. Put a ribbon around it, add a recipe card with a ribbon and tadaa, the cookie mix is ready. Of course you are not limited to gift your personal cookie mix during the holiday season. You can do this the whole year through. Either with chocolate chip morsels of different colored M&M’s.
Glass jar, 32 oz
1.1 lbs all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
8.8 oz. brown sugar
4.4 oz. M&M chocolate candy
Combine the flour, the baking soda and the salt in a bowl; mix well. Put 200 grams of flour in the glass jar with a tightly closing lid. Press it well. Add half of the brown sugar and then half of the remaining flour, 150 g and then the remaining half of the brown sugar. Then remaining flour. Press it well after each layer. Finally add the M & M’s of chocolate pieces.
Cover the top of the jar with some fabric from a festive colored ribbon around the lid with a card attached. On the inside you can then state the recipe.
The recipe (write this on the back or inside of the card)
6.75 fl. oz melted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 390 F
2. Cover baking sheet with wax paper
3. Put the cookie mix in a large bowl, stirring well
4. Put the melted butter in another bowl and mix the eggs
5. Add the cookie mix, and it is well mixed
6. Place dough balls with two tablespoons and place them 5 cm apart on the baking sheet
7. Bake the cookies 8 to 10 minutes in the oven. Make sure they don’t get too brown.
8. Allow the cookies to cool for 1 minute on the baking sheet and then move on a cookie rack to cool completely.
For this article in Dutch go here.