Meet award-winning Chef Yono Purnomo of Yono’s restaurant in Albany in NY. Owned and operated by the Purnomo family, this fine dining restaurant has been serving contemporary American and Indonesian fusion since 1986 and has been recognized by the James Beard Foundation, Wine Spectator, Santé, DiRoNA & The American Culinary Federation among others.
Chef Yono is a passionate Indonesian culinary pioneer & ambassador. We talk about his life’s journey, staying in business during the pandemic, how he is giving back to the community and much more.
Chef Yono: “This dish is one of my childhood favorites, every month, I would go with my grandfather into the city to eat the stew”.
– 3# Leg of Lamb- Boneless
– 2# Lamb Bones
– 1 Carrot, Chopped
– 1 Stalk Celery, Chopped
– ½ an onion, Chopped
– 6 White Cabbage Leaves
– 4 Scallions, Sliced, for Garnish
– 2 Plum Tomatoes, Small Dice, Garnish
– 3 Tbsp Kecap Manis
– 1 small can of Coconut Milk
– Grated Nutmeg, as needed
– ¼ tsp Cumin
– 1 tsp Coriander
– ¼ tsp Turmeric
– 1/8 tsp Cardamom
– 6 individual cloves
– 3 Bay Leaves
– 6 Shallots, Chopped
– 4 Garlic Cloves, Chopped
– 2 Thai Chili or 1 long red chili or ½ tsp Sambal Olek
– 3 Lemon Grass Stalks, White only, Chopped
– 2 inches of Ginger, Chopped
– 2 inches Galangal, Chopped
– 8 Lime Leaves
– 6 Whole Candlenuts or Kemiri
– 3 Tbsp Oil
Bumbu (spice mix) Method
Combine All ingredients in Blender until smooth paste is formed.
- In a large pot boil the lamb meat, bones, clove, bay leaves, carrot, onion, and celery for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the pot and medium dice. Set aside. Reserve liquid.
- In another pot, sauté bombu in 2 tbsp oil until translucent. About 3-5 Minutes.
- Take 3 cups of Lamb broth and add to sautéed bumbu. Add back the meat and additional spices. Cook for 15 more minutes. Meat should be tender.
- Add the coconut milk, boil for 5 minutes.
- At the end add the cabbage, tomatoes, scallions, Kecap Manis. Mix together and serve with jasmine rice, emping(nut crackers).
For questions to Chef Yono: chefyono @ aol.com