By Jeff Keasberry.
While I was in the middle of my presentation of the ‘Foods that Binds Us,’ last Saturday, suddenly there was a hard bang, and a sharp hissing sound.
A Samsung Note 7 spontaneously exploded like firework, sparks flew, acid smoke was forming, there was panic in the audience. One lady’s phone shot across the floor like a rocket, underneath an audience members chair. She got so scared she ran fast, leaving her shoes behind, as they couldn’t keep up with her feet. We all froze, expecting the phone to explode. We opened the emergency doors to evacuate the room and get some air, as the acid smoked filled the room, tearing up our eyes. Luckily, someone was able to take the cell phone out of the room. It appeared the lady who owned the phone burned her hand, another had charred feet. The phone was completely destroyed. Talking about an explosive book presentation. Samsung stole my show!!
I asked the lady if she was ok and asked about the phone. The one that we were told to shut off on board of the airplane before take off. It turns out this phone was already a replacement due to the battery explosion scare. Good think she did not hold it against her ear at the time.
After everyone was calmed down, we continued with the meeting. I was able to make people happy with my new cookbook Indo Dutch Kitchens Secrets, the first Indo Dutch cookbook of its kind in English. We had a good laugh about it and counted our blessings.
This afternoon Sunday 9th, I have the official book launch party in West Hollywood and tomorrow my book tour on the east coast will start. Hope to see you there or read all about it here.